Friday 6 May 2011

Pop Couture: Beauty divine

REBEL: Real, Energetic, Brave, Everlasting + Loved-  A Rebel goes against the grain, doesn’t conform, strives to prove and does whatever it takes to get to their destination

For the past six years singer Kazz Kumar has been breaking boundaries since her days as a member of a girl band and then part of the hugely popular ensemble, the Sona Family. Now a solo artist, Kazz reflects upon her humble beginnings, her exposure to different types of music and her instant fascination with performing to an audience:

“I started really young. My parents used to play a lot of different genres of music at home. I was brought up around great music! I started singing in youth choirs and in small theatre productions, even got the chance to sing solo at Disneyland!

I auditioned here and there and became a member of a girl band for a year. I left to join Sona Family back in 2005! I started working on my solo project at the end of 2008 and I’m still on the hustle, working on my album and on other artist’s projects!”


Being a non conformist when it comes to personality, fashion and music, Kazz is not one to shy away from the limelight and media attention as the singer/ songwriter explains:


“My music is edgy pop! I write my own songs so they all have the ‘Kazz’ stamp on them! I think my personality comes through in all my tracks and I have a different look/style in comparison to the other artists. I believe it’s really important to have your own ‘swagga’, there’s no point in being a cookie cutter type, where’s the fun in that?”


Kazz looks up to artists who she feels that have shaped her music and identity and helped her become the unique singer she is today 


“I look up to Michael Jackson, Madonna, Boy George and Cyndi Laupar! They were my heroes as I was growing up! When I got older I was listening to a lot of Alanis Morrisette, Linkin Park, Aaliyah and Robyn. Real music, real creative people”


Reflecting on the importance of being signed and the artists she would like to work with Kazz is clearly a woman who knows where she is going and is not afraid to say it like it is.


“I plan to work even harder than I already do! Being signed isn’t everything; it doesn’t mean you can relax. I aim to work work and work to represent what us Urban Asian artists can do, plus I’d love to prove people wrong, and those who didn’t believe in me. People I’d love to work with such as David Guetta, Red One and LMFAO! Oh and Plan B but only because I have a huge crush on him! I’m excited about Jernade Miah’s project, he’s a real talent.”


The UK Asian Music Award (AMA) nominated singer explains how she feels the state of the Asian music is prime for a big change.


“Urban artists need to be given their own TV music channel and radio station. Promoters need to pay artists to perform. Real talent needs to be highlighted. Those who create out of blood, sweat and tears, they are the REAL artists.”


The young, talented, sexy and hip artist has joined forces with established producer Young Archie from Young Archie Assignment to produce ‘In My Head’ which is billed to be a classic summer tune with a dub step twist. Keep your eye out for Kazz Kumar!
www.myspace.com/kazzkumar
www.facebook.com/kazzkumar
www.twitter.com/kazzkumar
www.youtube.com/kazzkumar

No comments:

Post a Comment