Friday 6 May 2011

Gifted: Climbing the ladder of success


 REBEL: Rules Eliminated Because Everything Lives – I don’t have rules, rules are set by the living (we are all living) so why should I listen to another person’s version/idea of right/wrong?


 
Up and coming music producer Gifted has been on the fringe of the music industry for a number of years, grafted his way to the forefront, the young and talented producer holds music close to his heart and believes that his raw talent and skill will be recognised by the mainstream.


“I’ve always loved music my whole life & I would say it’s always been a big part of me but I decided to pursue a career in it at the age of around 14-15. I started off just writing lyrics & learning my favourite songs by reading the inlay booklets. After a year or so I decided I want to actually make music so I picked up some software from a friend then started making hip-hop/garage music just to show my friends for fun.

However, things changed by my final year of high school - I knew this was what I wanted to do forever and the rest (as they say) is history. I am now a Producer/Composer/Songwriter & Engineer.”

Believing that his music does not conform to any set genre and that actions speak louder than words

“Conform isn’t a word I can ever warm to as my whole persona is based on individualism and self expression but if you wanted to find my music in a record store, it would be under the Hip-Hop/Urban or even R&B category although I would like to say, it’s far from the norm. I think I’d prefer to let time answer how I’m going to stand out. It’s one thing to say I’m going to be different and do new things but actions speak louder than words! Let’s say there will only ever be ONE me and when people see what I’m bringing to music people will be taken back.”

Influenced by a variety of artists, including the late Michael Jackson, the renegade producer feels that there are no rules to the music game as he continues to make his mark.

“My biggest influences musically are Michael Jackson (who I would like to dedicate this interview too R.I.P) and Quincy Jones. There understanding of music is unmatched even to this date, however there are others that come closer than most, such as Kanye West, Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins & The Neptunes. People like Pharrell (Of The Neptunes) & Kanye have shaped my music/indentity in the sense that, they showed me that it’s ok to be me when I’m making music. I don’t have to have rules to abide by; they showed me music is about feeling. When you hear stuff from me in the future, you WILL feel it.”


Gifted has grand plans for the future, from having already worked with Grammy nominated artists; including Swizz from So Solid Crew the producer is working hard to lay down the foundations for his career and believes that his rebel tendencies will bring him favour among his peers.


“I believe I am a Rebel. Very much so, it may come down to my upbringing or simply because I’ve heard so many, “NO’S” that I grew older and thought, “I don’t care anymore”, I want a YES from situations so I’m going to create one. The two people I listen to most often are God and my Mother.”

With big goals and high expectations Gifted his aiming high and is looking to create his own brand and identity to share with the world and wants his music to connect with people.

“I wouldn’t say I plan to be, ‘Signed’ per say, as I’m contemplating starting something on my own two feet from the ground up however, if I decide that I DO want a production deal – When that happens, you will see a LOT of change. I PROMISE!


To be ultimately blunt, as any passionate musician would say – I aspire to be a great. There’s more than 10 things I could list that I would plan to do once signed but the main one is to, show the world why God put me on this planet. I stand for more than just music, although I’m not an artist – I want to be one of the first producers to really connect & engage with people and allow them to be motivated by work ethic & attitude and show them that ‘Impossible’ really means “I-M-POSSIBLE” (I am possible).”

Having already worked with a host of well known and talented artists Gifted is setting his sights high when it comes to his aspirations of working with other established artists, and continues to pledge his support to the UK Asian Music scene.


“Not so much the Asian Music Industry (work with) although I will say I do have love for them, however mainstream wise – I would love to work with many artists, including the likes of Beyonce/Drake/Chris Brown but then there’s also other artist’s like Tinie Tempah & B.O.B that I would also like to work with!


I’ve already worked with big names from Konvict Records (Sway), Jive Records (Huey Ent) as well people like Giggs, Wretch 32 & So Solid Crew but there’s still a lot of people to work with yet!”

The young producer feels that there is still a lot that needs changing in the music industry and feels that the boundaries and genres should be more clearly defined to help promote artists and help them break through.


“I would like to see less of the somewhat robotic duplication of this new wave of ‘urban music’ which is actually pop because if people like myself are trying to bring back the essence of it all, certain artists are pushing it even further back & people in those kind of positions make it harder for people still on the come up.


Of course commerical mass appeal is what any artist needs if they want to make money, I just wish we was back in the era where you didn’t have to conform your sound to make money.


It would be good if everyone were to be themselves because each person has a beautiful perspective deep down, they just need to take the shutter of their lens & see things clearly for once & not be blinded by the lights (literally) – Think about that one.”


Twitter: @GiftedTheGreat
Facebook: ravgiftedchana

Work enquiries: Giftedmusiccontact@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment